To provide quality, healthful school meals and nutritious snack choices while encouraging good nutrition practices as an integral part of the education of our students.
All corespondence should include "Refund" or "Transfer" and the last name of the student in the subject line.
The Department of Food Services encourages a healthy lifestyle by providing meals and snacks that contribute to learning about wise food choices.
South Windsor Schools participate in the federally funded National School Meals Program and the Healthy Food Certification. Breakfast and Lunch are offered to all students, whether paid, at reduced price or no cost to students whose families qualify financially and have completed the required Free & Reduced Meals form. Details on how to apply can be found on the Free and Reduced Price Meals page.
You’ve probably heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it can also be the most challenging when trying to get your kids to eat healthier!
If you want your students fired up and ready to face the day’s challenges, work high-quality protein and fiber into the morning routine! These nutrients can make a huge difference in your child’s mood, attitude, attention, energy and stamina, and they take longer to digest so your little one won’t be gnawing at the walls five minutes after the bus rolls into the school parking lot.
Our school breakfast, served just 20 minutes before classes begin, provide those high quality proteins and fibers in tasty breakfast items your students will enjoy. Stop by our menu page and see what we have cooking for your students!
- Breakfast is available in all schools.
- Students are allowed to come in up to 20 minutes prior to school starting time and join us in the cafeteria for a variety of choices including both hot and cold cereals and breakfast sandwiches, fruit, juice and milk.
- Students who qualify for free or reduced price lunches, also qualify for breakfast. Students who use their POS account for lunch, may also use it for breakfast!
- Parents may want to review the limits currently on their child’s account and make changes if necessary to include breakfast & lunch purchases.
- For your convenience, healthy snacks are also sold at this time for students who need a snack for classroom snack time.
- Menus are easy accessible at the Menus link above.
Please feel free to join your child for breakfast one morning!
Summer Feeding Program Information
South Windsor School District does not offer a Summer feeding program, however, there are several options for you in Connecticut, please inquire with the following resources below to see what works for your family.
- Summer meals are free, nutritious meals and snacks that are provided to kids and teens, 18 years of age and younger, throughout the summer when school is out. Meals are made possible through federal nutrition programs.
- No paperwork required.
- No registration required.
- No identification (ID) required.
- No cost!
- All summer meals are FREE of charge to all kids & teens, 18 years of age and younger, at participating meal locations.
Wellness Policy and Healthy Food Certification
The South Windsor Board of Education adopted a Wellness Policy in the 2005-06 school year that encompasses both food and exercise in it's scope. The guidelines for food served and sold to students during the school day are provided in the Wellness Policy. Healthy Food Certification legislation provides for guidelines for foods sold a la carte and in locations other than the meal program area of the school.
We go on Field Trips Too!
With so many students using the Point of Sale (POS) system, we want to be sure all parents know that we do prepare bag lunches for any student going on a field trip. We simply ask that parents notify the teacher at least 2 days ahead so that we can have the bag ready before your child leaves on the day of the field trip. These bag lunches can be purchased with cash or account.
Elementary Form Middle School Form