Special Transportation Requests

A special transportation request (“STR”) refers to transportation to and/or from a location other than a student’s legal (home) residence. A Special Transportation Request is also required (1) when a child is enrolled in the Town of South Windsor's 4th R Program as transportation is not provided; or (2) when alternate transportation arrangements have been made (e.g., parent transport). 


Please note that the following forms (with the exception of IMS and the Opt In Bus Stop Supervision forms) may be submitted electronically via PowerSchool through the Parent Portal.

Eli Terry Elementary School
Link  Orchard Hill Elementary School
Link Philip R. Smith Elementary School
Link Pleasant Valley Elementary School
Link Timothy Edwards Middle School
Link South Windsor High School
Link South Windsor POP Program
Link International Magnet School
Opt In Bus Stop Supervision Form


Q:  Where do I submit the completed form and is there a due date?
All forms need to be submitted to the school's main office. We request forms be completed in early June for the following school year for bus routing purposes, but will accept forms throughout the school year. (No requests or changes will be processed between August 31 - September 15.)

Q: Do I need to complete a form every year, even if the location has not changed?
Yes. A new form for each student must be completed each school year. At the end of every school year, the address utilized for bus routing purposes defaults back to the student’s home residence.

Q: What if I have safety concerns regarding the bus stop location associated with my special transportation request?
Bus stops associated with special transportation requests (e.g., childcare centers or home daycare providers) are not subject to appeal. If the parent/guardian is not satisfied with the bus stop location associated with a special transportation request, transportation will revert back to the bus stop location associated with the student’s home residence.

Q: I want my child to attend a daycare that is located outside of my child’s elementary school district. Will South Windsor Public Schools provide transportation?
No. Transportation is only provided to locations within a student’s designated elementary school district. Please refer to the "Elementary School Districts by Street" link below for an alphabetized list of streets located within each elementary school district.
Link Elementary School Districts by Street

Q: What if joint custody exists with our children and transportation to both households is needed?
Transportation can be provided to both households as long as both parents reside in South Windsor and residency for both households has been established by providing the necessary documents to the Registration Office. Parents of elementary students must also live within the same school district. One parent needs to complete the STR and indicate both household addresses. The completed form then needs to be submitted to the student’s school office for processing. If you have children attending different schools (high school, middle school and elementary), a separate form needs to be completed for each grade level. Forms must be completed on an annual basis, even if the information remains the same.